Please SUPPORT HB 1247:
Patient Freedom of Choice of Health Care Provider
House Bill 1247 allows patients, NOT insurance companies, the freedom to choose where they get their medications and which healthcare professional they want to see.
HB 1247 would allow:
- A person to choose their health care provider if the provider is willing to meet all the terms and conditions of the agreement
- A person to pay the same co-pay or cost regardless of the licensed health care provider they choose
- Make sure a person is not denied access to the health care provider of their choice or disallow a that health care provider from providing care as long as the health care provider has a valid license in Colorado and the health care provider agrees to all specified conditions set forth by the insurer
Which Providers could a Patient choose under HB 1247?
The health care professionals covered in this legislation are:
- Pharmacists & Pharmacies
How does HB 1247 allow Patient Choice?
HB 1247 simply says a health plan or pharmacy benefits manager (PBM) may NOT:
- Restrict a person from selecting their choice of pharmacy, chiropractor, or optometrist;
- Impose a different payment, fee, or any other costs on the person for selecting the provider of their choice; or
- Restrict access for the person by denying a pharmacy, chiropractor, or optometrist participation in the network IF they agree to all terms and conditions, including reimbursement.
Does Patient Choice of Provider increase costs?
- Colorado small business owners – pharmacists, chiropractors, and optometrists – believe in competition and keeping costs low. Twenty-seven (27) other states have patient freedom of choice laws dating back to the 1990’s, and these patient centric laws are still on the books! Despite rhetoric these laws are not leading to higher health care costs.
- Studies done in South Dakota show patient choice legislation DOES NOT raise health care costs. In fact, an initiative that passed in South Dakota in 2014 by a 2 to 1 margin added all health care providers to their freedom of choice legislation.
Why Support Patient Choice?
- In most households – urban, rural, or frontier – people want to go to the provider they trust or frequent the most. Health care providers are trusted professionals in a person’s life. HB xxx allows people, not insurance companies to choose the provider that is right for themselves and their families.
- Increasingly health plans have benefit designs that excludes local providers. Many plans require patients to go to providers they don’t know or don’t trust. HB xxx simply allows local health care providers to provide care to their patients.
It’s Your Healthcare, Your Provider, Your CHOICE
Contact your Representative today and tell her you support HB 1247:
Barbara McLachlan: House District 59
Capitol Phone: 303-866-2914
Capitol email: email@example.com